Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add Reply New Topic New Poll 

Alliances, Broader Storylines & Houses, The Game of Thrones.
Nate
 Posted: Jun 12 2012, 12:07 AM

N/A
Member is: Offline

Character Profile
Player: NATE

On the old board, Eddard Stark started a thread in regards to talking through larger storylines, alliances and a variety of other things. It was quite an active thread and allowed for houses to coordinate activities and so that everyone was aware of what was going on in all parts of Westeros.

This is really just bridging that thread onto this board.

The original thread with in-depth discussions can be found HERE.

In regards to continuing conversation here, just quote yourself or others from the other board so everyone knows where you're setting off from or stemming your ideas from and away you go!
PM
^
Nate
 Posted: Jun 13 2012, 07:39 AM

N/A

Character Profile
Player: NATE

To help keep track of key events occurring, here's a list of currently important threads in regards to alliances:

Negotiations With a King; The Stark's arrive in Dragonstone and discuss their terms in regards to allying with Baratheon (Stannis) in the war.
Characters Involved: Stannis Baratheon, Eddard Stark, Catelyn Stark, Arya Stark, Melisandre & Davos Seaworth.

The Crowned Stag and the Kraken; Renly Baratheon receives representative of House Stark, Theon Greyjoy, who brings with him the idea of peace between the two Baratheon claimant brothers.
Characters Involved: Renly Baratheon & Theon Greyjoy.

This will be updated on a regular basis as a checking point for those interested in seeing how strong each of the Houses is becoming and furthermore, where they've aligned themselves in the growing conflicts of Westeros. If you have a thread that hasn't been added to the list in which you believe is crucial and game changing, please message me and I'll be more than willing to add it here. If you'd prefer to just post in here with the thread as a part of ongoing discussion, the thread will be added also.
PM
^
Eddard Stark
 Posted: Jul 1 2012, 03:50 AM

N/A

Character Profile
Player: Eddard

Now that we have an active Renly again and the "Negotiations"-thread at Dragonstone also should move along soon, we're back to the question how we want to proceed with the broader storylines and alliances.

House Stark wants to negotiate a truce between Stannis and Renly to quickly beat the Lannisters, get the Iron Throne back to one of the Baratheons (either is fine for Ned), end the war and focus on the threat that looms beyond the Wall as Winter is coming.

But I have heard that there are other ideas around about different alliances. Clearly the largest power in Westeros is Renly, whoever he sides with has a rather good chance of winning this struggle (provided there are no dragons coming anytime soon - or an army of Others).

Personally as the player of Ned and Joffrey, I'm open for all options. And one could very well argue, that Stannis and Renly are both far too proud to give up their claim to the throne, so an alliance could not possibly happen.

So, what are your thoughts and ideas about all that?
PMEmail
^
Renly Baratheon
 Posted: Jul 1 2012, 09:53 AM

Unregistered
Member is: N/A

Character Profile

I have the thread going with Theon (when, and if, he replies) where he was sent as a representative of House Stark to try and negotiate some kind of peace between Renly and Stannis. For the sake of an idea Nick sent me regarding Petyr coming to speak with Renly, Renly won't be all that receptive to Theon. He probably won't outright give a definitive 'no' to the alliance Ned is seeking but he certainly won't say 'yes' either.

And, if the thread going on between Petyr and Joffrey right now turns out the right now, Petyr will be coming to pay Renly a visit to give him some terms about joining with the Lannisters to defeat the Starks and Stannis. I won't bore you with the terms Petyr will lay out because Nick just did a wonderful job writing about them all in the thread. Of course, there will be a little something more he tells Renly to sweeten the deal for him. But that's not all that relevant to what's going on right now so I'll keep it between me and Nick for the time being.

So, that's where Renly's at right now. He's meeting with Theon at the moment and will soon meet with Petyr. Who he's going to ally himself with is still up in the air but I'm sure he'd be more than happy to listen to any other people who decide to come visit him and try to convince him one way or the other. I seriously think that Ned coming to talk with him might swing him to their side possibly. If Ned is able to promise him some wonderful things, Renly knows what an honorable man he is and how he will live up to those promises. Whereas, Renly knows he can't trust Petyr farther than he can throw him and that Petyr will have more going on up his sleeve than what he speaks to Renly about.
^
Stannis Baratheon
 Posted: Oct 1 2012, 12:47 PM

Unregistered
Member is: N/A

Character Profile

Well, I had an idea and wanted to know what you guys think of it. With the wall being the most active place, I was hoping that I'd be able to send Stannis there. We could say that Melisandre sees it in her flames and tells him that's where he needs to go, as she does later on. What do you Night's Watch people think?
^
Jeor Mormont
 Posted: Oct 1 2012, 01:21 PM

Lord Commander

Character Profile
Player: Ayla

Stannis is most welcome to head up and stir things around. No doubt it'll be an interesting twist. Why would he be send there, though? Any idea on what he could gain by bothering the Night's Watch, when they've got quite a bit on their plate already?

I'm all for it, just think we should work out those details. ;)

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail
^
Eddard Stark
 Posted: Oct 1 2012, 03:35 PM

N/A

Character Profile

Well... originally the plan was to move with Stannis' and Eddard's people to Renly's camp for negotiations. I see how the fact that we don't have a Renly makes that a bit difficult. But for the overall plot as it has happened so far, it would make much more sense to stick to it and maybe try to see if we can find someone (maybe an Admin if time allows) to NPC Renly till we have a new player for him.

And ultimately Stannis wants to sit on the Iron Throne so it doesn't seem to make much sense for him to go up to the Wall.
PMEmail
^
Eddard Stark
 Posted: Apr 6 2013, 10:32 AM

N/A

Character Profile

So now that there is some life returning to this board, we should probably decide how we want to proceed from here.

Do we want to follow the original storyline of this board? Which was basically set at the beginning of the second book with the exception that Ned Stark was still alive. To reasonably do that would require many more players and many more roles being filled. Could happen now that the TV series is back on and advertisement is going out. But I don't know how high our expectations should be there.

Or do we scrap all the previous storylines, look at which characters we actually have in the game and try to come up with something that works for those, but in a way that the story could be expanded reasonably if more players join us over the next few weeks.

It's a pretty important decision that would affect all three of my characters, least of all Jon Snow probably, since he's up at the Wall in any case. But for Joffrey and Ned it would definitely change the situation.

So what do you guys think?
PMEmail
^
Ayla
 Posted: Apr 6 2013, 03:22 PM

N/A

Character Profile

I am a little bit torn here. The original story of the board has most likely affected all of our characters, but I don't believe we will have enough players to continue with that the way it was. I don't think we should have very high expectations yet; take it easy and rebuild the site to some extent, rather than immediately jumping into that old storyline. I would like to know what our possibilities are first.

So for now, I suggest we look at the things from the original storyline that are absolutely fundamental to a character, and that we want to have in their history. We should look at what characters we still have, like Eddard mentioned. These two things combined, we can see what our possibilities are.

I would personally like to keep some of the original storyline, but we need to see what is possible at the moment. I will look into this very soon. But for now, what does the rest of you think?
PMEmail
^
Theon Greyjoy
 Posted: Apr 8 2013, 06:39 AM

N/A

Character Profile
Player: Recon

In situations with limited players generally I would argue in favour of limiting the scope of the story. Now aside from Joffrey and Tyrion Lannister most of our characters are in some way connected to the North & the Wall. So one option would be return the storyline back to the start of AGOT, thus nearly all our characters would be at Winterfell. If your character wasn’t born in the North you could have them simply following the king or attempting to make coin during his trip.

Otherwise it’s very difficult to square the circle, we have a very geographically spread out list of characters. Without getting them in closer proximity it’s just not going to work out. Joffrey and Jeor Mormont are never going to speak to each other etc.

I think we need to either rethink some of our characters, move to a different part in the timeline or focus exclusively on a smaller area, one of course which fits in with everyone.
PM
^
Eddard Stark
 Posted: Apr 14 2013, 05:53 AM

N/A

Character Profile

Since despite of season 3 running on TV, there is not exactly a huge influx of new players, we should probably completely rethink the board's previous storyline so we can get as many of our characters into the game as possible.

The question is: To what point in the general storyline should we reset? I'm open for anything basically but when it comes to Eddard Stark and Joffrey Baratheon, I really need to know where we stand. Otherwise I'm unable to play them. Jon Snow up at the Wall is more flexible. I think we could basically continue where we were there - provided there is anybody to rp with up at the Wall.

So would be cool if we could decide soon where in the story we want to go on.

PMEmail
^
Arya Stark
 Posted: Apr 22 2013, 01:27 AM

N/A

Character Profile
Player: J

I think the most important aspect of deciding where to go next is finding out what can maximize the posting potential and get people interacting and showing the guests who do stop by and view the site in hopes of joining there is life on the board.

If that means consolidating everyone to the North, or back to King's Landing. I can't speak on keeping the previous history of the site as I am not entirely sure what all of that entails nor am I exactly positive what characters are and are not still active. But as a generic blind possible solution is... and I apologize first if I have things backwards or misinterpret the previous history.

But someone take responsibility for aiding and a bedding Ned Stark's escape and Joffery decides to rally his men and anyone else whom wants to come with the King's convey and to travel back to Winterfell and reclaim his prisoner and traitor to the crown.

Which could spark some interesting threads about Joffery and those loyal to him marching to the North to reclaim Stark. Which would undoubtedly start a war or mini-rebellion.

While others can question what and why the King is doing this, how foolish or brave he might be to try and crush the North. As those in the North prepare for whatever it is Joffery is ready to do to cement himself as a powerful King.

That right there can move the majority of the story and characters into the North with some intense threads perhaps and get things going. While still maintaining the integrity of any previous history, plotting and storylining.
PMEmail
^
Eddard Stark
 Posted: Apr 22 2013, 11:59 AM

N/A

Character Profile

I like the idea. It would be a reset of the story but since we can't expect loads of new players to show up and join, it would make sense to scarp the previous storyline and start anew with what we have.

Of course it would be totally mad of Joffrey to do that, but he's power crazy enough to try it, specially with no Tywin or Tyrion around to slap some sense into him. So, I'd be game for that as a general setting.
PMEmail
^
Ayla
 Posted: Apr 28 2013, 03:13 PM

N/A

Character Profile

I agree with Arya, we should definitely focus on what can increase posting potential, revive the site and make new members flow in. Reading this idea now, I think that it can definitely be very interesting. I quite love the idea of there being a conflict between houses, and this may be a very plausible cause. It sounds very realistic for Joffrey to do such a thing, and it seems that all of our characters could be involved with this one way or another.

Even if it means resetting our old storyline, I don't necessarily think that that is a bad thing. What we are trying to achieve is a new start for the site, a completely new storyline could help with that. And I have not seen other Game of Thrones RPGs that applied an angle like this. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) We do not immediately have to give up the elements of the old storyline, however, we could most likely incorporate a few of those with this idea. Although that is not something I can decide on the best, since I am not all too familiar with all the details that the old storyline involved. (I wasn't around for very long before the site died.)

If anyone has something to add to this idea, or other suggestions, please share them. For now, I vote for this idea. I think it has great potential. Good job, Arya.
PMEmail
^
Theon Greyjoy
 Posted: May 2 2013, 09:24 AM

N/A

Character Profile
Player: Recon

I also think it’s a good idea to reset our storyline and just focus on this one idea. My activity is limited at the moment because of University work, but I would be more than happy to help in any way I can in about a week or so when I can get more active again. So I think we should move ahead with the storyline.

In regard to the sites previous storyline, the general idea is Renly is marshalling his forces, Robb has just won the battle of the Whispering Wood, Stannis is brooding on Dragonstone, Tywin is waiting at Harrenhall and Joffrey is in the capital. So its broadly similar to the beginning of Series Two. However the major difference is the escape of Eddard (Originally I believe a OC played by a former admin was responsible for his escape).

Eddard being free really changes the context of the story. Eddard Stark is a widely repescted figure. So if we apply it to Arya’s idea, you would have most people unaware of Joffrey’s illegitimacy or believing that people are using for their own motives. Eddard wanting to become Protecter of the Realm and Stannis wanting the throne for himself. So if we could avoid open warfare, Joffrey is exactly the sort who would personally wish to capture his “prisoner”.

Then Robb, the North and the Tully’s face a uneviable situation. Do they hand Eddard over, as a criminal to Joffrey’s justice? Or do they face possibly most of the realm uniting behind Joffrey against the Riverlands and the North. The Riverlands would be destroyed as the Starks hid behind Moat Callin.

So if we the situation as the following. Robb is marching South to free his father. Tyrion gets free earlier so Tywin hasn’t already burned the Riverlands. Eddard gets free so Robb stops in the Riverlands and hopes to meet his father and get his advice in dealing with Joffrey and learning the truth. The Lannisters perhaps with Tywin or Tyrion authorised as Hand of the King, keep Renly and the Tyrells on side or at least out of this war by convincing them Eddard is either treasionous or has been misled. After all Eddard’s proof isn’t bulletproof. “So the royal children took after their mother genetically not their father…” I can’t imagine Tyrion struggling to convince much of the realm with that sort of logic from Eddard.

So to summarise, if we have the Vale, Dorne, The Reach and the Stormlands all effectively neutral (or biding their time). A easy excuse for Renly and Mace Tyrell would be they are too busy preparing to defend against Stannis to participate in the war in the North.

So in effect you would have the Westerlands and the Crownlands following Joffrey North. Perhaps Tywin is somehow unable to get a handle on the boy. In the North you have Eddard/ Robb/ Edmure leading the Riverlands and the North. So it would be very much a fair fight, especially with the grey status of Eddard being a traitor to the realm etc.

Purely from a selfish perspective, this is one of the best scenarios for the Theon character, after all this is what Eddard wrote in A Game of Thrones, “I want a careful watch kept over Theon Greyjoy. If there is war, we shall have sore need of his father’s fleet.”

So Theon would be an important character as surely Eddard would want to motivate Balon into action against Joffrey if war breaks out.

I think we should get this moving, as soon as possible.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add Reply Fast Reply New Topic New Poll 

AFFILIATES

SKIN MADE BY HAFSA/FANTOME AT ATF AND CAUTION.