Add Reply New Topic New Poll 

User Compiled Database, your complete guide to Westeros
Adair Snakestone
 Posted: Jul 31 2013, 05:46 PM

Unregistered
Member is: N/A

Character Profile

My main suggestion is to add an area to the board where users can submit information/data they've collected while researching background information for their characters. Sometimes, what one might think will be a quick search to find some specific information, might not be as quick to find. Such as common languages found in various parts of Westeros and Essos, or what the setting is like in various places. Or maybe when the last winter was and how long the current summer has lasted. What colored skin tones are more affiliated with different areas and backgrounds (or which areas are more influenced by the Andals, First Men, Valyrians, etc.) Information that seems like it should be pretty easy to find but might not necessarily be quick to find. I think it would be a good idea to have a user-compiled area but have it be screened by staff to make sure it's consistent with what everyone else has found and has used in their apps since staff already had to read everyone's apps to begin with. xD

So this would be a continuous update thing, not just one task that's put on the backburner forever because it would be a tremendous amount of work. If someone wants to contribute what they know/have found about a certain area, then they can submit that information.

So, my idea would be to have an overall board for the general database. One sub-board could be the Submissions area with the title of each submission thread being the area/topic they're covering. Another sub-board could be labeled Cultures. Another sub-board could be labeled Locations. Or however the different categories should be named, for easier searching. But that way, information can be screened before it gets sorted (or reposted by a NPC account like the Archive Keeper account if that one still exists) but doesn't put TOO much pressure on the admin.

To reiterate, this would be updated just whenever new information is provided, even if it's to quote what can be found on http://asoiaf.westeros.org or http://awoiaf.westeros.org or http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_Wiki but I think the site's database would be more beneficial if it wasn't merely quoting those sites. Each thread can have a link to the respective site location for that topic, but our database should be more user-based information that we've had to compile for our characters.

As a second suggestion, maybe this could take the place of the 'Noble Houses of Westeros' board? Just rename that board and then have one thread listing all the houses in alphabetical order with the hidden/spoiler content option to open/close the individual houses. This could be done in multiple posts to split it up like A-G, H-N, O-R, S-Z or whatever to make it easier to update if site-canon (eg. user-created houses) houses are going to be added too for a more complete listing.

Anyway, that's my two cents. ^^
^
Ayla
 Posted: Aug 2 2013, 04:21 AM

N/A
Member is: Offline

Character Profile
Player: Ayla

I think these are great ideas. I know I have been having a difficult time finding specific information and sorting it out myself, so I do think that having all this accessible in one place will help members. I probably will put it under the 'Noble Houses of Westeros' board; rename it, and sort everything in there, like you said. It will be a lot of work, but I look forward to doing it. The fact that others will be able to add to this information will also make it easier. ^^

For now, these are some of the things I think it should contain. Not necessarily in this order;
    - The Noble Houses of Westeros (Of course!)
    - The Noble Houses/Authorities/People of Status, etc of Essos
    - Capital Cities and Strongholds
    - Climate and Seasons (Including winters and summers, how long they lasted and what year that took place.)
    - Geography
    - Cultures (This includes spoken languages, social rankings, religion, weddings, basically anything characteristic about a specific region.)
    - Religions (There are quite a few, and there's limited info on them, so it might be good to clear this up.)
    - People/Hierarchy (?) (An explanation of all the different ranks, for example the knights and lordlings, merchants and peasants, etc. An overview of who stands above who, and what the common behaviour is towards these groups of people; the social tension, etc.)
    - Customs and Laws
    - History and Lore (For example, the invasion of the Andels, and what went on before that with the First Men, the White Walkers, Children of the Forest, etc.)
I agree that there could be a sub-board in which members post the new information, which can then be looked over by staff and posted in the database. Does anyone have anything to add to this list?

Love,
Ayla
PMEmail
^
Adair Snakestone
 Posted: Aug 4 2013, 05:41 PM

Unregistered

Character Profile

Another thing that can be added is approximate/acceptable time passage between major areas. Not everywhere on the map as that would be too much (unless that's something someone ends up wanting to do xD), but just time travel between major locations/ports. Like Winterfell to the Wall or Winterfell to King's Landing by the Kingsroad, Pentos to Braavos, Braavos to White Harbor, etc. That way people can be on the same page with time passing too.

As part of cultures, maybe have the types of dishes most associated with each culture/region too. Obviously coastal places or islands will be big on seafood, but it might be interesting to see what other places' specialties are, if that can be found/noted in the books or the show. xD
^
Victoria
 Posted: Aug 6 2013, 08:51 AM

N/A

Character Profile
Player: Victoria

I'll be game for helping as well! God knows I looked at enough SOIAF food, so having all the info (not just food lol) in one place would be really useful as it'll be quick to get hold of, no more going tab to tab.

Oh and timetravel estimations a good idea, helps people to keep track of their threads also.

--------------------

user posted image
PM
^
Victoria
 Posted: Aug 11 2013, 08:09 AM

N/A

Character Profile
Player: Victoria

Claiming:
    - Capital cities & Strongholds

- Climate and seasons

- Cultures

- History and Lore

Will get working on this as soon as I can xP

--------------------

user posted image
PM
^
Adair Snakestone
 Posted: Aug 11 2013, 08:33 AM

Unregistered

Character Profile

Do you guys want any members helping out on this too or will it just be the staff?
^
Ayla
 Posted: Aug 11 2013, 08:53 AM

N/A

Character Profile
Player: Ayla

Claiming so far;

- Religions

What I had in mind is that the staff could start with it, start the threads etc. Once the basis is there, we can post a code (much like in the face claim/master list) with which members can add information to it, which we then post in the appropriate place in the thread itself. I hope this makes sense?

But of course, you are more than welcome to help, Vesper. smile.gif
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options Add Reply Fast Reply New Topic New Poll 

AFFILIATES

SKIN MADE BY HAFSA/FANTOME AT ATF AND CAUTION.